Linlithgow Link was set up back in 1979, as the first voluntary group of its kind in West Lothian. The aim was, and still is, to provide a voluntary service that promotes the concept of a more caring community within our town. We can provide support through social and community activity to those who are isolated by illness, age, or infirmity.
Linlithgow Link is a registered charity (SCO No: 13502) and part funded by West Lothian Council. In line with legal requirements, all volunteers are fully insured, and security checked as members of the PVG Scheme. Volunteers enjoy being involved in a variety of rewarding activities and whilst giving their time freely are not expected to be ‘out of pocket’ in any way. New people are always welcome, and membership is free…so if you, or someone you know, would like to join us, please get in touch. Keeping us organised are two cheerful and competent staff members, working part-time hours with a full-time commitment, to coordinate the requests and activities for our 50 local volunteers.
These activities include:
- driving of their own cars to take people to hospital or health related appointments when a person has difficulty in using public transport
- assisting with transport and refreshments for the weekly social group meetings
- assisting in running the local monthly Caring Café for those affected by Dementia
- support to those attending our 'out of town' excursions (using an accessible bus) or the traditional Burns lunch get-together
- hand delivery of Christmas and Easter gifts and cards
- maintenance of the close links formed with local primary schools, and regular attendance with our members to their seasonal concerts.
We are open to requests for help in any reasonable way, and seldom fail to find a volunteer to take on the task requested. Requests can be made by social workers, GPs and other health professionals but also by direct contact from yourself or a family member. We provide the service for all residents of the Linlithgow and Linlithgow Bridge area.
It can sometimes be difficult to reach new people who may be interested in, or benefit from, our services and activities, so if you want to join us please get in touch, by using the contact details. We want to nurture the positive community spirit that Linlithgow is deservedly proud of, so will be delighted to welcome new people on board, either as ‘clients’ or ‘volunteers’.